Friday 23 March 2018

A top up of supplies, plus that D van finally finished

With some of my basic modelling supplies getting low or exhausted a trip to the local shop was in order to right the situation:
So I now have plenty of gloss black, wagon red and 'dullcote' for a few projects. The couplers have already been raided to go on one wagon.

The gloss black was a separate purchase from the local Toy World (which moved premises some years ago but this was the first time I have been there!). It is also the first tinlet I have purchased with the current labelling. Humbrol paints for a long time had the type and number stamped into the lid. I know, it is a bit sad to be paying so much attention to a paint tinlet but for those who have been buying Humbrol paints for many years, you will know the tinlets have been the only consistent thing produced...unlike the contents 😐

Now onto an actual model. Back in 2015 I put up a post about a BGB van I decided to re-purpose (see http://mattsvicrailmodelling.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/da-d-van.html). At the end of that post I hinted that the van would not be going back to orange. It has been in it's base colour for a couple of years and only recently I have added the lining:
Looks pretty smart doesn't it? I based the idea on the VR blue D van that is currently in storage at the Seymour Railway Heritage Centre. It was painted blue to match their 'Blue Train' of mainly ex-Spirit of Progress S cars but does not have the lining. You will also note the top band is thinner than the bottom one which matches the original application of the blue and gold (rather gold leaf) to the original Spirit of Progress back in 1937.

This van can now be operated with my other blue stock and blend in with the consist. It would have been so easy to paint it wagon red and code it as a BP van but I wanted variety. Now I just need more blue cars...hmmmm 😉



No comments:

Post a Comment