Friday 17 October 2014

Oh G what now?

Earlier this year I bought a Austrains G-class in of all things: VR blue and gold. Up until a week ago it was running fine. The last weekend I put it on the track and went to move it, a loud grinding sound could be heard emanating from the loco. Oh great, sounds like a motor is about to cark it. It went back in the box and waited until I had a night free to take it apart and find the problem. Well it wasn't hard to find:


Those filings are from one of the flywheels. Turns out they were grinding on something, that something appeared to be a wire or screw that I had no access to. I did find that the motor mount has a fair bit of play in it, in fact I could lift the motor inside the mount! So the fix was to put some packing under the motor. What did I use?

Turns out a used chocolate packet can come in handy for these things:
That is the packer being positioned under the motor. On top of the board is the TCS DP2X decoder I installed not long after purchasing the loco. Initial tests indicate this repair has been successful. Saves have to send the loco back anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment