Friday 2 March 2018

Nothing on the TV again...sooooo

There wasn't much on TV last night, a good excuse to do some more kit construction before I have to go and get more supplies (used my last bit of dullcote on the container flat and almost out of VR wagon red in the paint stocks).

I decided to tackle building the sides and ends up for 3 Steam Era Models L type sheep wagons. Long time followers of my blog will recall I also did a batch of 3 L wagons back in 2014 so there is some consistency here. The most tedious bit of these kits is the brass etchings that have to be attached to the sides and ends that make up the barwork. While I'm realistically a little way off actually building these wagons, I can at least build up the sides and ends so that when I am ready to construct the actual wagons, these parts will be ready to go in the same way as a standard SEM kit.

The photo below is to show the work that goes into putting these etchings on. The sides have 8 separate etches and the doors combined add another 4. So you have to separately fit 12 etchings to each side. The ends have 6 each. That is 36 separate etchings just in the barwork. The balance will be 3 bar etchings that go inside (1 dividing the top deck, another 2 dividing the bottom deck because of the waste chute from the top deck). Have I put anyone off building one yet?
Since this photo was taken I have put the doors onto the sides as well as putting the side and end braces on. With that done these parts will go back in the bag and I can then do the same thing for the next 2 wagons.

No comments:

Post a Comment